搜尋此網誌

2014年12月25日 星期四

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2010

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2010

1. Set up your Heading paragraph styles
    • Modify the Heading 1 style so that it is based on "No style". Modify Heading 2 so it's based on Heading 1. Modify Heading 3 based on Heading 2. And so on. Not everyone does this, but I find it useful because of the way the formatting of Word's styles cascade.
    • Now, modify the Paragraph settings (Format - Paragraph - Indent) of every Heading style so that the Left Indent is 0. Do this even if you want your headings to be indented from the left margin, and even if you want a hanging indent. Why? Because for outline-numbered styles, we will set the paragraph indent and the hanging indents (if any) when we set up the numbering.
  2. Create a list style
    • on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click the Multilevel list menu and choose Define New List Style (not "Define New Multilevel List") at the bottom.
    • In the Define New List Style dialog (Figure 2), do (only) two things:
      1. Give your list style a name.
        Hint: Give it a plural name. That makes it clear that this is a list style that's controlling more than one paragraph style. And, give it a name directly related to the paragraph styles you're going to use. We're going to use paragraph styles Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 etc. So I suggest that you name the list style as Headings.
      2. On the Format menu, click Numbering.
    • We're now in the Modify Multilevel List dialog box (Figure 4). The list style is the coordinating mechanism for the whole "set" of paragraph styles we'll use. So we set up all levels of numbering in this one dialog box.
    • To set up the numbering:
      1. In the Modify multilevel list dialog, click the More button.
      2. Attach the Heading paragraph styles to the 9 levels in the list style. To do that:
        1. In the 'Click level to modify' list, select level 1. In the 'Link level to style' box, choose Heading 1. That attaches paragraph style Heading 1 to level 1 of the list style.
        2. In the 'Click level to modify' list, select level 2 and attach style Heading 2. And attach Heading 3 to level 3, Heading 4 to level 4 and so on.
      3. Now we tell Word about the numbering itself for Level 1
        1. In the 'Click level to modify' list, click level 1.
        2. Delete anything in the 'Enter formatting for number" box.
        3. If you want the numbering to start with some text (eg to number a paragraph as "Chapter 1" or "Section 1") then enter the text including any space in the 'Enter formatting for number' box. Leave the insertion point after your text.
        4. From the Number style for this level list, choose the kind of numbering you want.
      4. Set up numbering for levels 2 to 9.
        1. In the 'Click level to modify' list, choose Level 2.
        2. Delete anything in the 'Enter formatting for number" box.
        3. If you want to include a previous level's numbering, then use the 'Include level number from' box. If you want punctuation after each level, add it into the 'Enter formatting for number' box as you go. For example, for Level 2, I might want the numbering to be "1.1". That is, I want the Level 1 number and the Level 2 number. So, from the 'Include level number from' box, I choose 'Level 1'. Then I type a full stop (full point, period, whatever). Then I choose from the 'Number style for this level' box.
      5. Next, set up the indents: how far in from the left margin do you want the different levels to appear? The default indents are actually quite reasonable. If you prefer to change them, then you have two choices. The easy way is to click the "Set for all levels" button.
      6. OK, OK back to your document.
    • To apply the Heading styles to your text
      1. click once within a paragraph, or select text from two or more paragraphs
      2. on the Home tab, click the thumbnail for the Heading 1 style  (or, for keyboard junkies, use Ctrl-Alt-1, which is the built-in keyboard shortcut for applying style Heading 1).

2014年12月9日 星期二

How to Use Sections in Word 2013

How to Use Sections in Word 2013

Page formatting commands in Word 2013 usually affect every page in a document.  However, sometimes you need a document that isn't formatted the same way for every page. For example, you may want to change page number formats (i, ii, iii, vi, 1, 2, 3, ...), or have the first page of a document be an unnumbered cover page. These tricks are possible with sections.

Create a Section
  1. Position the toothpick cursor where you want the new section to start.
  2. Click the Page Layout tab on the Ribbon.
  3. Click the Break button.  There are 7 items.  Choose "Next Page" in the "Section Breaks" group.
  4. Similar to page breaks, this starts a new section.
Change the Numbering Style of a Section
  1. If you don't have a Page Number yet, insert one.
  2. Then in the Design tab,  click the "Page Number" button and choose "Format Page Numbers".
  3. Change the "Number Format" to be "i, ii, iii, ...".
  4. If necessary, specify the "Start at" value.
Change the Orientation of a Section
  1. In the Page Layout tab, click the "Orientation" button.
Delete a Section Break
  1. A section break is just like a character in your document, so it should be easy to delete with a Delete key.
  2. When you have trouble finding the section breaks, switch to Draft view.

2014年12月7日 星期日

How to disable AUTORUN in Windows 7

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-do-i-disable-autorun-windows-7/7ba51974-c009-44ad-9067-f3968744175b

1. Run "gpedit.msc"
  2. Expand "Administrative Template" under "User Configuration"
  3. In "Windows Components" - "AutoPlay Policies", double-click "Turn off Autoplay".
  4. Click "Enable" and select the option "CD-ROM and removable media drives" (or "All drives", if you prefer).
  5. Click "OK".

2014年10月16日 星期四

How to export Facebook events to Google Calendar

https://www.facebook.com/help/152652248136178

1. Click "Events" on the left.
  2. At the bottom right, right-click "Upcoming Events", and choose "Copy Link Location".
  3. In Google Calendar, click the down-arrow next to "Other calendars" and choose "Add by URL".
  4. Paste the URL which you copied in Step 2.  Press Enter.
  5. Wait for a few seconds and you'll see your Facebook events are automatically synchronized to your Google Calendar.

2014年6月23日 星期一

Disable the close multiple tabs warning in Firefox

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/971930

In Tools - Options -Tabs, I have already disabled "Warn me when closing multiple tabs".  However, this only affects the action when you click the red cross button at the right-top corner. 

If you want to disable the warning when you right-click a tab and choose "Close Tabs to the Right" or "Close Other Tabs", do the following:
  1. In the Location bar, type "about:config" and press Enter.
  2. In the Search field box at the top, type browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs.
  3. Double-click the browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs preference to set its value to false.